World News

Several Members of European Parliament have denounced the violation of human rights by Spanish judiciary in the case of Vladimir Kokorev (65), a Spanish entrepreneur of Russian-Jewish

US Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross has defended personal business links to Russia revealed by the Paradise Papers, in an interview with the BBC on Monday.

Footage from within one of Australia's offshore detention facilities for asylum seekers reached its first international audience this week in London, with one of the filmmakers highlighting the plight of his co-director who remains inside the camp.
"Chauka, Please Tell Us The Time" portrays life within Papua New Guinea's Manus Island camp, built as part of Australia's immigration crackdown which has seen asylum seekers who try to reach the country by boat taken to an offshore site.
The footage was shot on a smartphone by Behrouz Boochani, an Iranian who has spent four years in the camp since the boat he was trying to reach Australia on was intercepted by the authorities.

Personal care brand Dove has apologised for an advert that showed a black woman removing a top to reveal a white woman underneath, following accusations of racism.
The three-second video clip appeared in the United States on the social networking site Facebook.
Dove said on Twitter that it had "missed the mark in representing women of colour thoughtfully" and deeply regretted any offence caused.
The body wash ad showed a black woman removing her top, revealing a white woman underneath. She then took off her t-shirt, showing a third woman underneath.
"Ready for a Dove shower? Sulfate free with 100 percent gentle cleansers, our body wash gets top marks from dermatologists," the advert said.
The Dove brand, owned by Rotterdam-based food and consumer products giant Unilever, which is listed on the London and Amsterdam stock exchanges, apologised after several people on social media deemed the advert racist.

The case of Vladimir Kokorev, a Spanish businessmen, has moved beyond the territory of the Canary Islands and even Spain. At a roundtable event held at the European Parliament in Brussels 28 September, the Kokorev case was called a Europe-wide affair as the case now faces gross violations of law and human rights, and this takes place in a EU country. The roundtable conference was organized by MEP Fulvio Martusciello, Chair Delegation for relations with Israel.
Vladimir Kokorev (66), his wife Yulia (68) and their son Igor (35) have been kept in a Las Palmas (the Canaries, Spain) prison for two years without being lodged any charges and without any hope for fair justice. The family are charged with money laundering on behalf of Obiang Nguema, President of Equatorial Guinea, and for almost two years the family have been in custody with their case classified. It later emerged that the secrecy was required for the investigation bodies to conceal the absence of proof and evidence of Kokorevs’ guilt.
Ana Isabel de Vega Serrano, investigative judge at Las Palmas Court No 5, who issued an international arrest warrant for the Kokorevs, apparently thought that the case being classified gives her the power to keep people in prison for as long as she would want. Kokorevs’ defense lawyers who spoke up at the roundtable conference and later at the press conference deduced that the case had been masterminded by some interested parties.

Four children and an adult were killed when a fire engulfed a social housing block in the French city of Mulhouse on Sunday night, authorities said.
Eight others were injured, three critically, in the blaze that began in the basement of a four-storey building in the northern Bourtzwiller district, the fire service said.
The fire broke out shortly before midnight.

On September 28 2017 at 10am, the Conference Room of European’s People Party will hold a round table on the matter “Justice, Human Rights and Due Procedure in EU – the Case of Vladimir Kokorev,” presided by MEP Fulvio Martusciello.
Vladimir Kokorev, his wife Yulia and their son Igor, have been held for over 2 years in a prison of Las Palmas (Canary Islands, Spain) on a suspicion of money laundering in favor of the President of Equatorial Guinea, Teodoro Obiang. Despite the unusually prolonged detention without a trial, and the fact the investigation has supposedly started back in 2009, Mr. Kokorev and his family has not yet been formally indicted, nor presented with evidence of any wrongdoing.
Moreover, the attorneys of Kokorev family have provided the judge in charge of investigation with exhaustive documentary proof of legality of transactions deemed “suspicious” by the prosecution office of Las Palmas, and thus attesting to his innocence.
Furthermore, the case itself presents strong evidence suggesting severe police manipulation, such as deliberate mistranslations and misrepresentation of documents pertaining to the case, interference with IT devices and the reliance on a witness indicted for embezzlement and forgery.

Azerbaijan's ruling elite ran a secret 2.5 billion euro ($2.9 billion) slush fund to pay off European politicians and launder money, according to an investigation by a group of European newspapers published Tuesday.
The fund operated for two years from 2012 to 2014 through bank accounts of four shell companies registered in Britain, according to the investigation by papers including The Guardian and France's Le Monde and published by the Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project.
Nicknamed the "Azerbaijan Laundromat", the origin of the fund is unclear "but there is ample evidence of its connection to the family of President Ilham Aliyev", the report said.

An Australian woman who fled in fear from the Barcelona attack has told how she was caught up in two other recent terror incidents in Paris and London during her European travels.
"I was in London at the time of the London Bridge attack, and we were also at Notre Dame the day the attack took place there too," Julia Monaco, a 26-year-old from Melbourne, told BBC Radio 5 Live.
She recounted how she and her friends took refuge inside a shop as crowds ran from a vehicle as it ploughed through pedestrians on the famous Las Ramblas boulevard in Barcelona on Thursday afternoon.

An Australian woman who fled in fear from the Barcelona attack has told how she was caught up in two other recent terror incidents in Paris and London during her European travels.
"I was in London at the time of the London Bridge attack, and we were also at Notre Dame the day the attack took place there too," Julia Monaco, a 26-year-old from Melbourne, told BBC Radio 5 Live.
She recounted how she and her friends took refuge inside a shop as crowds ran from a vehicle as it ploughed through pedestrians on the famous Las Ramblas boulevard in Barcelona on Thursday afternoon.
UK News
-
Deutsche Bank London unit fined for breaching UK Russia sanctions
Deutsche Bank’s London branch has been fined £165,000 ($221,084) by the UK sanctions watchdog after breaching Britain’s Russia sanctions regime in 2022.Read More... -
Companies House unveils reform agenda to strengthen trust in UK corporate register
Companies House has outlined an ambitious set of priorities for the 2026–2027 financial year, signalling a major phase in its transformation into a more robust guardian of UK corporate dataRead More... -
£16m funding boost moves Leeds South Village closer to reality
A major regeneration scheme set to deliver nearly 2,000 homes in Leeds has moved a significant step closer after securing £16 million in government funding.Read More... -
Thousands of new parents risk missing out on Child Benefit as HMRC urges early claims
A significant number of new parents in the UK are failing to claim Child Benefit within the crucial first year of their child’s life, potentially losing out on hundreds of pounds in governmentRead More...

Culture
-
Beatles’ final rooftop performance to be preserved in new London museum
The rooftop where The Beatles staged their iconic final live performance is set to become the centerpiece of a new museum celebrating the legendary band’s legacy.Read More... -
Rare Declaration of Independence to headline landmark exhibition on America’s founding
A major new exhibition marking 250 years since the birth of the United States is set to open this summer, bringing together some of the most important documents from the AmericanRead More... -
Newly released UK archives shed light on early years of Northern Ireland Troubles
Nearly 1,000 previously hard-to-access government records documenting the early years of the Northern Ireland Troubles have been published online, marking a significant step in openingRead More... -
£127.8 million lifeline for UK arts venues signals renewed push for cultural access
More than 130 cultural venues across England are set to receive a significant financial boost as part of a £127.8 million government investment aimed at widening public access to arts andRead More... -
Paddington and Sondheim lead the pack as Olivier Awards mark 50 years of theatre excellence
London’s theatre scene is buzzing ahead of this year’s Olivier Awards, where a charming Peruvian bear and a classic Stephen Sondheim musical are tied at the top of the nominations list.Read More... -
A century of Marilyn: landmark London exhibition reexamines the woman behind the icon
In 2026, London’s National Portrait Gallery will mark the 100th anniversary of Marilyn Monroe with a major exhibition that promises to go beyond the myth and into the making of one of theRead More... -
£4 million boost brings new life to UK museums and expands public access
A fresh wave of investment is set to transform museums and galleries across the UK, with £4 million allocated to improve access, modernise displays, and better preserve collections for futureRead More... -
Kanye West banned from UK over antisemitism row, Wireless Festival 2026 cancelled
Britain has barred U.S. rapper Kanye West, now known as Ye, from entering the country, forcing the cancellation of London’s Wireless Festival where he had been scheduled to headline in July.Read More... -
Who stood behind Western support for Ukraine’s independence?
From the life story of British politician Stefan TerlezkyRead More...

British Queen celebrates
Most Read
- Teen held after US woman killed in London stabbings
- Heave-ho Harry! Prince prepares to join the walking wounded in ice trek to North Pole
- Football: Farhad Moshiri adamant Everton deal above board
- "Master of English Style". Interview with Designer Lydia Dart
- Letter to the Financial Times from Lord Mayor Alderman Michael Bear
