Sport

Former England footballer Adam Johnson has launched an appeal against his six-year prison sentence for sexual activity with an infatuated teenage fan, it was announced on Tuesday.
Johnson, once a winger with Sunderland and Manchester City, was jailed last month following an incident with a 15-year-old female supporter in his Range Rover in County Durham, north-east England, last year.
A statement on the Adam Johnson's Appeal Fight page on Facebook, run by his sister Faye, said: "Adam's appeal against his sentence has now been lodged!"
"Thanks everyone for your support it means a lot! X"
Judge Jonathan Rose, passing sentence, said the victim - who cannot be named for legal reasons - had been a Sunderland fan who would wait after matches to take pictures of her "favourite player", Johnson, who had known her age.

Nick Blackwell said he was in the “toughest fight of his life” after waking from an induced coma following his British middleweight title defeat by Chris Eubank Jr.

Tyson Fury will defend his World Boxing Association (WBA) and World Boxing Organisation (WBO) heavyweight titles in a re-match against Wladimir Klitschko in Manchester on July 9, the British boxer's trainer and uncle Peter Fury announced Friday.
Fury senior tweeted that the rematch would be confirmed later on Friday, saying: "(On) 9th July Tyson Fury vs Klitschko is coming to Manchester Uk.
"Official announcement coming 12 noon (UK time, 1100 GMT)."
Hamburg-based Klitschko lost his WBA, IBF, IBO and WBO belts to Fury on points in Duesseldorf last November as the Ukrainian suffered his first defeat in more than a decade.
Fury, from Manchester, northern England, was stripped of the IBF belt for agreeing to face Klitschko in a re-match.
Talks, however, proved protracted. Fury suffered a minor back injury last month and recently said that he thought the delay was due to Klitschko's hope he will gain weight in the time between bouts.

England's Joe Marler has apologised publicly for calling Wales prop Samson Lee a "gypsy boy" as he insisted he was not a racist ahead of a World Rugby misconduct hearing on Tuesday.
Harlequins front-row Marler was reprimanded by England coach Eddie Jones for his comment to Lee, who is from a traveller community background, during a 25-21 win over Wales at Twickenham last month but escaped any disciplinary action from Six Nations tournament chiefs.
"I'm not a racist," Marler tweeted Monday. "What I said to Samson was out of order and wrong and I am sorry it was said, we shook hands at the end of the game and looked to move on.
"Whatever happens to me tomorrow I will accept," the 25-year-old prop added.
"I'm sorry to anyone who was offended, saying it was in the 'heat of the moment' isn't an excuse, but one comment, one mistake, does not make me a racist.
"My wife, kids, family and friends (yes, I do have some friends) know this," insisted the 42-times capped Marler.
"Thanks to the people who have supported me and have understood that I made a mistake and sorry again to the people I offended."

Russia is "changing deckchairs on the Titanic" rather than working to overturn an international ban on its athletes, ex-World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) president Dick Pound told AFP on Wednesday.
Russian athletes were banned from competing internationally last year after an independent commission chaired by Pound found evidence of state-sponsored doping in the country.
The country still hopes to participate at this year's Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, but Pound says that there remains a "wall of denial" about the extent of doping in Russian sport.
"We said at the time, you're not going to like much of what we say about athletics in your country," the Canadian lawyer told AFP during the Tackling Doping in Sport Conference at London's Twickenham Stadium.

Cycling bosses are investigating the possibility of testing riders in the middle of road races as they continue to combat the threat of mechanical doping in the sport.
Belgian teenager Femke Van den Driessche was discovered to have a motor inside the frame of her bike at the recent cyclo-cross World Championships, a revelation that sparked speculation that the problem may be more widespread.
UCI president Brian Cookson insists that the world governing body is on the ball when it comes to "technological fraud" and even considering drastic new testing procedures.
"The technology that we have now allows testing perhaps not literally on the move, but it's very flexible, it's very lightweight," said Cookson, who is at the track World Championships in London.
"It can even be attached to an iPhone, certainly an iPad. We will be testing before, after and, if necessary, during (races) from time to time.
"We have an open mind at looking at the opportunities for that. We will maybe have a commissaire on a motorbike who will stop with a rider who is changing a bike.

Boxing idol Muhammad Ali's gloves from the "most important sporting event in history" and pieces of his childhood home are among the artefacts at an exhibition in London honouring "the greatest".
The vast show opening on Friday at London's 02 Arena traces the story of the boxer from his childhood, through his glittering and brutal career to his elevation as a cultural and political icon.
The 100 items at the "I Am The Greatest" show include one of his robes, embroidered with his famous "float like a butterfly, sting like a bee" mantra and a dazzling rhinestone and jewelled boxing gown given to him by rock'n'roll legend Elvis Presley in 1973.
Visitors will also be able to see the wooden doorframe from his childhood home in Louisville, Kentucky, and white boots used during his fight with Jimmy Young with soles worn from repeated "Ali shuffles".
On show in the city where they became infamous are Ali's gloves from his bout against British fighter Henry Cooper at Wembley Stadium in 1963, the left one carrying a large rip.

Real Madrid star James Rodriguez has been fined 10,400 euros ($11,343) for fleeing from police after being caught speeding at 200 kilometres per hour, a government delegate confirmed on Tuesday.
The Colombian was followed by police to Madrid's Valdebebas training ground in the north of the city on January 1 after being caught speeding by an unmarked police car.
"He has been sanctioned for not obeying the agents that tried to detain him on various occasions," Concepecion Dancausa said in a press conference.
On top of the fine, the 24-year-old faces a separate judicial process for speeding.

Brazilian midfielder Alex Teixeira became China's third record signing in just over a week on Friday when Jiangsu Suning snapped him up for 50 million euros ($56 million) -- following earlier interest from English giants Liverpool.
China's latest monster move came only three days after Guangzhou Evergrande paid 42 million euros for Atletico Madrid's Jackson Martinez, and nine days after Jiangsu's 28-million-euro purchase of Ramires from Chelsea.
The hat-trick of record deals pushed China's spending in its current transfer period, which closes on February 26, to 258.9 million euros, higher than the 247.3 million euros spent by English clubs in the now-closed January transfer window, according to the transfermarkt website which tracks the sport's commercial dealings.
Teixeira's signing on a four-year deal from Ukraine's Shakhtar Donetsk also shows China now has the clout to attract players in the prime of their careers. The 26-year-old had been linked with a move to Liverpool, one of the world's top teams.
"Everyone has always known that I want to stay in Europe and transfer to a club in the English league. But unfortunately all the offers I received from them weren't serious and didn't contain anything specific," Teixeira told the Shakhtar Donetsk website.
"I now received a serious offer from China. I am of course moving there."

British athletics' senior administrator has insisted London has "nothing to hide" over its successful bid to stage the 2017 World Championships.
French investigators have opened a preliminary inquiry into the bidding procedure for the 2021 world championships in Eugene, amid allegations global governing body the IAAF was involved in widespread corruption and the covering up of several doping cases.
London defeated Doha in the final vote for the 2017 championships, the Qatari capital being awarded the 2019 edition.
But UK Athletics chairman Ed Warner said Friday: "All I know is that London's bid was completely by the book and through the front door in a classically British way.
"We have nothing to hide and we would be delighted to spend any amount of time going through our processes with the investigators if that helps root out any miscreants."
World News
-
Turkish court annuls CHP congress, sparking fresh concerns over democracy and opposition rights
A court in Ankara has annulled the 2023 congress of Turkey’s main opposition party, the Republican People’s Party (CHP), in a move that has triggered strong criticism from European politicalRead More... -
UK deputy envoy abruptly departs Washington post amid diplomatic questions
Britain’s second-highest-ranking diplomat in Washington, James Roscoe, has unexpectedly left his position at the British Embassy, the UK Foreign Office confirmed early Wednesday, raisingRead More... -
Iran seeks reparations, US troop pullback in new peace offer to Washington
Iran has proposed a new framework for peace talks with the United States that includes compensation for war damage, the withdrawal of U.S. troops from areas near Iranian territory, and anRead More... -
Red Arrows and Royal Navy lead UK military tribute as US marks 250 years of Independence
The UK Armed Forces are set to take part in major celebrations across the United States this summer, marking 250 years of American independence with a series of high-profile ceremonialRead More... -
Europe backs UK push for tougher border rules and faster deportations
The UK is set to win support from European partners this week for reforms aimed at strengthening border security and speeding up the removal of foreign criminals and illegal migrants.Read More...

Culture
-
Beatles’ final rooftop performance to be preserved in new London museum
The rooftop where The Beatles staged their iconic final live performance is set to become the centerpiece of a new museum celebrating the legendary band’s legacy.Read More... -
Rare Declaration of Independence to headline landmark exhibition on America’s founding
A major new exhibition marking 250 years since the birth of the United States is set to open this summer, bringing together some of the most important documents from the AmericanRead More... -
Newly released UK archives shed light on early years of Northern Ireland Troubles
Nearly 1,000 previously hard-to-access government records documenting the early years of the Northern Ireland Troubles have been published online, marking a significant step in openingRead More... -
£127.8 million lifeline for UK arts venues signals renewed push for cultural access
More than 130 cultural venues across England are set to receive a significant financial boost as part of a £127.8 million government investment aimed at widening public access to arts andRead More... -
Paddington and Sondheim lead the pack as Olivier Awards mark 50 years of theatre excellence
London’s theatre scene is buzzing ahead of this year’s Olivier Awards, where a charming Peruvian bear and a classic Stephen Sondheim musical are tied at the top of the nominations list.Read More... -
A century of Marilyn: landmark London exhibition reexamines the woman behind the icon
In 2026, London’s National Portrait Gallery will mark the 100th anniversary of Marilyn Monroe with a major exhibition that promises to go beyond the myth and into the making of one of theRead More... -
£4 million boost brings new life to UK museums and expands public access
A fresh wave of investment is set to transform museums and galleries across the UK, with £4 million allocated to improve access, modernise displays, and better preserve collections for futureRead More... -
Kanye West banned from UK over antisemitism row, Wireless Festival 2026 cancelled
Britain has barred U.S. rapper Kanye West, now known as Ye, from entering the country, forcing the cancellation of London’s Wireless Festival where he had been scheduled to headline in July.Read More... -
Who stood behind Western support for Ukraine’s independence?
From the life story of British politician Stefan TerlezkyRead More...

British Queen celebrates
Most Read
- Teen held after US woman killed in London stabbings
- Heave-ho Harry! Prince prepares to join the walking wounded in ice trek to North Pole
- Football: Farhad Moshiri adamant Everton deal above board
- "Master of English Style". Interview with Designer Lydia Dart
- Letter to the Financial Times from Lord Mayor Alderman Michael Bear
