Culture

 

British Queen celebrates

Sport

 

Police are investigating reports that the woman raped by footballer Ched Evans has been named and abused on a social networking site.

It follows a complaint to North Wales Police by a leading rape charity, which said the alleged comments on Twitter were "profoundly disturbing".

Sheffield United and Wales striker Evans, 23, was jailed for five years at Caernarfon Crown Court on Friday after being found guilty of raping the woman who was "too drunk to consent".

A spokeswoman for North Wales Police said: "We are aware of some comments made on social media sites and we are collating all relevant information."

Rape and other sexual assault victims are guaranteed the legal right to lifetime anonymity. But victims' groups fear the current criminal justice rules could be inadequate to guarantee anonymity in the age of social media.

 

Wales claimed their third Six Nations Grand Slam in eight years when they beat World Cup finalists France 16-9 at the Millennium Stadium here on Saturday.

The Welsh side, marshalled magnificently by fly-half Rhys Priestland and indefatigable flanker Dan Lydiate, produced a nervous display but still managed to dominate a conservative France team that relied heavily on a kicking game.

The victory, following successes over Ireland (23-21), Scotland (27-13), England (19-12) and Italy (24-3), was sweet revenge for the heart-breaking one-point loss Wales suffered against Les Bleus in the World Cup semi-final.

A stunning solo try by winger Alex Cuthbert, allied with three penalties and a conversion by Leigh Halfpenny were enough to see off a French side that scored three penalties through Dimitri Yachvili (2) and Lionel Beauxis.

"This makes all the sacrifices worth while," said Wales skipper Sam Warburton, who was sent-off in last year's World Cup semi-final defeat.

"You have to give credit to the French. They made it difficult for us to get our game going. But we won and that's what counts."

Man of the match Lydiate was overjoyed by the victory.

"It's a very young team and this was their first chance to win anything. To do it at home in the last match in the Six Nations, what could be better?," said the flanker.

 

A black footballer who was released from his club is bringing a claim for race discrimination, it has emerged.

Mark McCammon, 33, claims he and other black players at Gillingham FC were treated differently from white players.

The player confirmed the story, which appeared in the Sunday Telegraph, saying only: "I'm hopeful that truth will prevail but I can't comment any further at this stage."

The newspaper said the case was believed to be the first race discrimination claim brought by a professional footballer.

McCammon, a Barbados international forward, signed a three-year contract with League Two club Gillingham in 2008, and was released three seasons later.

The former Charlton, Swindon, Millwall and Brighton player is currently with Conference team Braintree Town.

 

 

John Terry is understood to have been stripped of the England captaincy.

The move follows concerns over the defender being the figurehead of the national team with a forthcoming racism trial hanging over him.

Football Association chairman David Bernstein had contacted all the other members of the 14-strong board to seek their views after the announcement that Terry's court case will not take place until July 9 - after Euro 2012.

It is understood that the majority view of the board members was that Terry should stand aside as captain.

Terry has been accused of racially abusing QPR's Anton Ferdinand, a charge which he denies.

It would be the second time the Chelsea captain has been stripped of the England armband having also lost it two years ago after allegations surrounding his private life came to light. More than one board member argued strongly that Terry should not be the England figurehead with such a serious charge hanging over him, and that the FA should act immediately rather than putting off a decision until the next board meeting on February 23.

 

 

Egypt began three days of mourning on Thursday after 74 people were killed in an eruption of violence at a football match that sparked new anger against the military rulers for failing to ensure security.

The rioting in the northern city of Port Said on Wednesday night marked one of the deadliest incidents in football history and sent shares on the Cairo stock exchange plunging in Thursday trade.

Prime Minister Kamal al-Ganzuri told an emergency session of parliament on the tragedy that the Egyptian football association's director and management board had been sacked, as had the Port Said security chief.

Ganzuri added that the governor of Port Said had resigned his post and his resignation accepted.

Clashes erupted as soon as the referee blew the final whistle in a match which saw home team Al-Masri beat Cairo's Al-Ahly 3-1.

Al-Masri fans flooded the pitch, throwing rocks, bottles and fireworks at Al-Ahly supporters, causing chaos and panic as players and fans ran in all directions trying to flee, witnesses said.

Photos of bleeding players circulated on the Internet.

Gunfire was also reported on the main road leading to Port Said from Cairo, and troops were deployed to prevent further clashes.

State television ran footage of riot police standing rigidly in rows as pandemonium erupted around them.

Interior Minister Mohammed Ibrahim has said most of the deaths were caused by the crush but medics said some people were stabbed.

The health ministry said 74 people were killed, including a policeman. Hundreds were also reported wounded. Police said 47 people had been arrested.

The ruling military announced three days of national mourning.

Stocks in Cairo tumbled by 4.6 percent, with the EGX-30 index of leading shares falling from 4.688 points at opening to 4.471 points.

The clashes -- blamed by the Muslim Brotherhood on supporters of fallen president Hosni Mubarak -- came as Egypt struggles with a wave of incidents linked to poor security.

Politicians, fans and players took to social media to express their fury over the clashes, which cap a year of political upheaval and unrest after the uprising that unseated Mubarak.

"There are dead people lying on the ground! There are dead people in the changing room," Al-Ahly striker Emad Meteab told the team's satellite channel.

"I won't play football anymore until these people get justice," a furious Meteab said.

Egypt's hated police force, which recently came under fire for its heavy-handed tactics, had been given instructions to deal carefully with protesters, sources said.

State television said Egypt's military ruler, Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi who took power when the Mubarak was ousted on February 11 last year, sent two military planes to fly out the players and the injured from Port Said late Wednesday.

He stressed that the country's security was "fine" as he waited at a Cairo airport to meet the players and wounded fans.

In Geneva FIFA President Sepp Blatter said he was shocked by the incident. "This is a black day for football. Such a catastrophic situation is unimaginable and should not happen," he said.

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) announced that a minute of silence will be observed at the Africa Cup of Nations this weekend in memory of those killed and injured in the disaster.

"African football is in a state of mourning," said CAF president Issa Hayatou.

 

LONDON - Arsenal staged a remarkable recovery from 2-0 down to beat Aston Villa 3-2 as they kept their FA Cup hopes alive with a dramatic fourth round win at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday.

The Gunners, without a major trophy since winning the FA Cup seven years ago, were booed off by their own fans at half-time with their realistic chances of winning a trophy this season left hanging by a thread after a Richard Dunne header and Darren Bent strike had put Premier League rivals Villa 2-0 in front.

But three goals in seven second half minutes courtesy of two Robin van Persie penalties separated by a Theo Walcott effort, after an Alan Hutton clearance rebounded in off the England international, turned the match on its head.

"We wanted to stay in the Cup," Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger told ESPN when asked how the Gunners had recovered.

"Two-nil was very harsh for us at half-time. It was just a question of keeping our structure and then we got an early (goal to make it) 2-1."

Frustrated Villa manager Alex McLeish added: "We had a terrible eight minutes...The goal they (Arsenal) got gave them a huge lift and they scored the second goal far too quick after that."

Arsenal, still in the Champions League but 18 points behind Premier League leaders Manchester City, will now play either Sunderland or second-tier Middlesbrough in the last 16 after they drew 1-1 earlier on Sunday.

 

ITV has landed two out of the three England group games for next year's Euro 2012 tournament.

The network will again share the rights to the competition with the BBC, broadcasting all 31 matches between them with both screening the final.

ITV1 will show the England clashes with France and Ukraine, while the BBC will host the game against Sweden.

But the BBC will have first choice if England make it through to the quarter-final stage and the rights to both semi-finals under the deal.

The tournament kicks off on June 6, with the BBC broadcasting the Poland v Greece opening match.

 

The Government has spent nearly £750,000 on tickets for the London 2012 Games.

The Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) has been allocated 8,815 tickets, including 213 for the opening ceremony. These alone cost £194,525 and include 41 of the top-priced opening ceremony tickets costing £2,012.12.

They have also paid out £71,490 for 143 tickets for the closing ceremony, according to the figures revealed in a Freedom of Information request by Sky News.

Almost two thirds of the 1.9 million people who applied in the six-week first round of Olympic sales ended up empty-handed. A total of 1.2 million people ended up with nothing, with only 700,000 - 36% - being successful.

The DCMS put bids in for tickets for all the Government and, it is believed, its allocation will be shared out across government departments.

Many dignitaries, heads of state and business leaders across the world will fill some of the best seats at the opening and closing ceremonies which will be used as a showcase for Britain. Sought-after tickets for track cycling, with a total of 224 tickets to the Olympic Park velodrome sessions, are among the DCMS allocation.

 

A three-minute chorus of bells will be rung out across Britain to signal the start of the first day of the London 2012 Games.

The mass bell-ringing, masterminded by Turner Prize winner and musician Martin Creed, will begin at 8am on July 27 2012 when the aim is for all the bells in the country to be rung as quickly and as loudly as possible.

The performance, entitled Work No 1197, will be part of the London 2012 Festival to welcome to Britain the 205 nations who will compete at the Games.

Creed, who was born in Wakefield and raised in Glasgow, said: "It is by the people and for people. On the morning of the opening of the Games it is a massive signal that something is happening."

London 2012 now need thousands of members of the public to make the event, based on the tradition that bells are rung to mark special moments, a reality.

Anyone can take part, from ringers using the largest church and town hall bells through to hand bells, school bells, a single bell and even the bell on a bicycle. Community groups, clubs and individuals are all welcome to take part, London 2012 said.

 

Tennis star Novak Djokovic tasted victory at Wimbledon - by eating the famous Centre Court grass.

The Serbian fell on his back after defeating Rafael Nadal in four sets then knelt over and picked some of the hallowed turf and put it in his mouth.

The 24-year-old wowed a 15,000 capacity crowd - and more than 10,000 around Wimbledon - with his blockbusting tennis.

Nadal, who surrendered his title and top world ranking to Djokovic with defeat, could not cope with his combination of speed and brutal shot selection.